The skills that you already possess could be making you a nice amount of money online each month, and I want to help you to do just that.
The internet is the best place to showcase your skills and to connect with potential customers who are desperately looking for people like you from anywhere in the world, and there’s many good sites that will connect you to them.
In this article I want to share with you one of the most popular ways to make money from home, and that is by becoming a freelancer. It doesn’t matter if you’re a stay at home mom, or college student, freelancing is a great way to make some extra money from home on your own time.
What is a freelancer exactly?
A freelancer is someone who is self-employed and doesn’t work for anyone in particular for a long period of time. You can either work for an agency or company, but basically you’ll be restricted to their policies. But they’ll probably have projects and jobs for you on a regular basis.
Or you can be an independent-contractor which gives you more freedom, but you’ll have to find work on your own. However, I know some great sites that will help you connect with potential customers who are looking for your skills.
What skills can you offer?
Freelancers can offer many different type of skills. So basically, you need to figure out what you would be interested in offering and what skills you have that could actually make you money.
Some of the most popular freelancing jobs online are:
- freelance writer
- graphic designer
- web design
- virtual assistant (VA)
I’ll be honest, I’ve been working online for more than a few years and there’s a need for pretty much anything. So, there really aren’t any limitations, and offering something unique and creative can get you far online as a freelancer.
But, writing definitely seems to have the largest demand online. Think about it, every website and blog online consists of what? Content, and they always need writers on a regular basis. And it doesn’t matter what level of writer you are either. There’s plenty of work out there, but the high quality writers can obviously charge a lot more for their services.
Of course you could freelance your services for offline work, too.
You’ll just have to think about what skills you have to offer and checkout a few sites to see what people are looking for.
Here’s a list of Freelance sites
This is just a small list of all the freelance sites available on the internet. But these are some of the best ones available, and I’ve included some different type of sites for you to checkout. Just copy & paste into your address bar.
1. www.odesk.com – is the largest marketplace for freelancers and programmers from around the world.
2. www.elance.com – another popular site to find plenty of online work for different services.
3. www.textbroker.com – offer your writing services and make money.
4. www.iwriter.com – another site for freelance writers.
5. fiverr.com – cool site for offering just about any type of service that you can think of for only $5. However, you can add extra side gigs and charge more than just 5 bucks.
6. www.freelancer.com – probably the largest and most popular freelance site.
7. www.warriorforum.com/warrior-products-services/ – this is a popular forum that has a section where you can offer your services. It’s a good place to meet others like you, and get tips and advice, too.
8. www.craigslist.org – It may be a good site for you to offer your services, or at least checkout what some people are looking for.
Tips for Freelancers
There are a lot of ways for freelancers to make money from home, but just keep in mind there’s a lot of competition, too. You are basically competing against all the other freelancers from the entire world. But don’t get discouraged, you’ll soon find your place and be making extra money online in no time at all.
Here’s some tips for freelancers who are starting out, and want to make a great name for themselves quickly.
- have a plan – know exactly what you’ll offer and how much you want to charge, people online tend to complain or ask for more if you don’t set everything ahead of time
- great customer service – this is what will get you repeat customers and get you more clients
- over-deliver – people will love you if you give them more than expected
- quality – if you want to standout, then do high quality work, you’ll be able to charge more and you’ll get more work than anyone else
- be crystal clear – let people know exactly what you’ll do, the amount, and any other necessary details
- testimonials – ask your clients who are fully satisfied with your work to leave a small testimonial so you’ll have this to show future potential clients
- examples – it’s always a good thing if you can show potential clients examples of your past work that you’ve done for people
- always deliver on time and exactly what you said you would
- have some sort of guarantee or do whatever it takes until you’re client is fully satisfied
Here’s what I think about freelancing
If you want to make more money as a free lancer or want to actually take your little business to whole another level, then you should create a blog or website.
You can become truly independent from using a service or company to find you work. Or you’ll be able to show potential clients when using a service what you’ve done and what exactly what you’re offering. Just build a website around the service(s) you will provide with all the information for people to see clearly. It’s more professional, you’ll have a place to keep and showcase your past work, and be able to display your testimonials and so much more.
You can get traffic and get people who are interested in your services from your website being found in the search engines like Google, paid traffic like the ads you see all over the internet, write articles in the free article directories, promote your services in forums, and don’t forget about viral traffic from social media sites like Facebook and Twitter. It’s a lot harder to get traffic to your freelance service if you don’t have a website.
Example: Let’s say you want to start being a freelancer for graphic design. So you go to one of the websites I mentioned above, and then you compete with 1000’s of others just like you. And because of this, you only get a little work, and less pay.
Now if you offered the same service, but instead of going to a website or service to find work, you own a website instead. And you’re website is on the front page of Google for the keywords, “hire a graphic designer”. You get tons of traffic who become customers, and you can charge more since you look more professional and no one else on your site is competing with you.
If you have any more questions about having your own website, then just contact me. I’ll help you out.
Now, for freelance writers.
To me it doesn’t make sense to write for someone else, and here’s why.
Yeah you’re making a little money for writing articles. But do you know why people want you to write articles for them? Most website owners use articles to get more traffic to their website and this leads to more sales from their website.
So instead of, like myself, writing for someone else I would rather write articles for my own sites, and use my content for getting more traffic to my sites.
I could sell an article I write for, let’s say $10 and that’s on a good day. OK, but if I get a site on the first page of Google for a keyword, then I have the potential to make thousands of dollars in passive income consistently. So you’re looking at making a few hundred dollars from writing 10-20 articles for someone else – vs – using those same articles to potentially make 1000’s from your own website. Are you seeing the BIG picture now?
But I’ll be frank, it obviously takes some skills and knowledge to make money from a website the way I was just talking about. So if you’re interested in making money online at home and being self employed by this method, then maybe you should get into internet marketing, like I did.
If you don’t want to get into all that, then becoming a freelancer is the way to go to make some extra money.
Of course the amount of money and what you make your freelancing gig into is totally up to you. Some turn it into a full blown business, while others are happy to just make a little money when they need it, or have time for it.
I hope you’ll succeed at your freelance job and soon be making plenty of money from home whenever you want. Thanks for visiting my blog and please share if you found this article helpful.